Snap-Loc™ Dust Seal Skirting System
|Product:||Flame-Retardant, Anti-Static (RU83 FRAS)|
|Product Category:||Conveyor Skirting & Transfer|
|Location:||Gladstone, Queensland, Australia|
|Tons Per Hour:||400 TPH|
|Installation Date:||September 2013|
The customer is an Australian ASX 100 company founded nearly 100 years ago and they are now recognized as an international leader in food ingredients and agribusiness. Throughout their operations, they focus on safety, sustainability and the environment; aiming to improve productivity and dispose of waste efficiently.
The grain handling industry is a high hazard industry where fires and explosions can occur from grain dust accumulation. Over the last 35 years, there have been over 500 explosions in grain handling facilities globally, which have killed more than 180 people and injured more than 675.
Grain dust is highly combustible and can burn or explode if enough becomes airborne or accumulates on a surface and finds an ignition source (such as hot bearings, overheated motors, or misaligned conveyor belt).
The customer was previously using a 1∕2 inch thick FRAS rated rubber (Fire Resistant Anti Static), necessary to comply with OHS regulations to avoid dust explosions. The rubber had developed memory fatigue, and was no longer rigid enough to conform to the belt sag between the idlers. As a result the customer was experiencing a lot of product escaping the skirting which was causing spillage. On average, skirting had to be changed every 2 years.
The customer made the decision to install our Snap-Loc Dust Seal System, using it to provide an effective seal at the conveyor transfer points. In comparison to the previously used rubber, the 5 key benefits of changing to the engineered polyurethane have been:
- Immediate spillage reductions because Snap-Loc’s new generation skirting offers longer term memory shaping capabilities;
- Longer-term replacement cost savings because Snap-Loc Dust Seal is 8 to 10 times more durable than rubber;
- Immediate and ongoing reduction in maintenance costs because Snap-Loc needs less adjustments due to the memory-set and less cleaning time because it doesn’t accumulate dust-build up;
- Ongoing energy savings due to Snap-Loc’s superior low friction properties, achieving less drag on the conveyor; and
- Ongoing improvements to the preservation of the belt itself because materials don’t collect under the slippery surface of Snap-Loc’s polyurethane, potentially causing damage to the belt.
Snap-Loc is available in FRAS-rated formulations specifically for industries where combustion
risks are present.
Disclaimer: Argonics FRAS polyurethane is not FDA approved. This customer is not in the
United States and weighed the benefits of FRAS for safety against not using this formulation.